- Safe in the Sun with Merseyside & Cheshire Cancer Network
Safe in the Sun with Merseyside & Cheshire Cancer Network
Juice FM are working with the Merseyside and Cheshire Cancer Network to give advice and information on staying safe in the sun this summer.
The Juice Crew will be joining the MCCN team as they go out and about with their I-Van giving free mole and skin checks across Merseyside.
- Using sunbeds definitely increases your chances of developing skin cancer
- Melanoma is one of the most common cancers in 15-34 year olds
- More women than men develop melanoma
- Sunburn increases your risk of getting melanoma, even if you have only been burnt once. Painful sunburn can triple your chances of developing the disease.
- Melanoma is the most aggressive form of skin cancer
- UV rays on a sunbed are between 10 and 15 times higher than rays from the midday sun
- You are most at risk of developing skin cancer f you have used sunbeds in the past
- The risks are even higher if you have used a sunbed under the age of 35
- "Sunbed tanning is safer than sun tanning”
FALSE : Sunbeds are NOT a safe alternative to sun tanning.
- "I tan safely by building my tan gradually”
FALSE : Unfortunately, sunscreen or limiting your time on a sunbed will not protect your skin from damage and ageing.
- "A tan will protect me from the sun on holiday”
FALSE : A tan offers very limited protection from sunlight or burning.
- "I need a sunbed to produce vitamin D”
FALSE : Vitamin D is essential for good health and is produced by your skin when it is exposed to UV rays as well as being present in certain foods. If you are worried about your vitamin D levels you should contact your doctor.
- "Being tanned is a sign of health”
FALSE : The fact that your skin has changed colour means that it has been damaged. UV rays from sunbeds can also damage your eye sight.
- "’I’m young, skin damage from a sunbed is not something I need to worry about”
FALSE : You can’t always see the UV damage straight away. It builds up over time, each time you are having a sunbed you are harming your skin and worsening its appearance in the long run.